- Breakfast, lunch and dinner: Have we always eaten them? | BBC News
Similar to the way we now sleep, our eating habits have evolved in line with economic demands.
- Why You Always See Crushed Stones Alongside Railroad Tracks | Gizmodo
In case you ever thought about this while taking the train.
- Why do aircraft still have ashtrays in the lavatory? | Fear of Landing
“…despite the prohibition, there is always the risk that a passenger will smoke anyway, and hidden away in the lavatory is the only real place someone might hope to get away with it. Surveys have shown that it continues to be a problem, despite years of prohibition and warnings in bold red fonts. When the fire alarm kicks off and the cabin crew start banging on the door, a panicked passenger should not be tempted into shoving the cigarette into the paper towel dispenser”.
- Unplanned Freefall? Some Survival Tips | The Free Fall Research Page
In the oft-chance that someone does stub out her/his cigarette on something that isn’t an ashtray and you find yourself freefalling from a mile high in the sky.
- Could the eagles have flown Frodo into Mordor? | Sean Crist’s Homepage
And finally, while we’re still on the topic of flying – a speculative question regarding Frodo’s journey through Middle Earth.
Tag - travel
Wow! That was a long hiatus.
Besides publicising a couple of events/articles I wrote (what’s worse: some posts are backdated D:), I haven’t posted regularly since late October.
No prizes for guessing why – I was busy with many things and I thought I’d list them briefly here for posterity:
(To be honest, I don’t really like consolidated posts like these; I feel they’re a bit of a cop-out and besides, if the moment has passed, we should just let it go.
But I know I need to sum up what’s been going on before I can move on to two very important upcoming posts I need to make.)
- I was stuck in deadline purgatory for quite a fair bit.
For one, I contributed an article to Article (LOL) for the Singapore Biennale 2013.
The Biennale is pretty awesome, BTW, so do check it out if you haven’t already done so.
- Scooter issues… ZOMG. Read the updates here.
- Took a short trip up to KL to escape for a while + do some writing + take a holiday since I can’t take one until March 2014 (explained in a subsequent bullet point).
- Moderated New Word Order featuring Dan Koh, the Singapore Creative Writing Resident 2013.
- I can’t go on leave yet because… I started a new job!
What’s it about?
I’m not going to discuss what I’m doing because I want to devote a post to this.
So all I’m going to say is: news embargoed until further notice.
- Was a groomsman and a dinner emcee for Lucas Ho’s wedding.
- Celebrated SG Tipsy Trivia’s first anniversary! And we received some media coverage too.
BONUS: Surprise Siew Kum Hong.
So it was a busy but fun two months, hence the radio silence.
Parting is such sweet sorrow.
While on my way to Incheon Airport from Wonju yesterday, “The Long and Winding Road” by The Beatles started playing on the radio the moment the journey began.
I was amused at the aptness of the song, but doubly amused at the fact that when I took the express bus from Incheon to Wonju, the song that started off my journey was “Drive” by The Cars.
Who decides these coincidental things?
Things I will miss:
And many, many more things too numerous to name.
Thank you, Toji Cultural Centre, Korea and the friends I’ve made for making this experience one of the defining moments of my life.
Till we meet again.