You know you’ve crossed a certain temporal threshold in your existence when you and your guy friends excitedly:
- Download – at a solemnisation lunch – a heart rate monitor app to check how healthy you all are;
- Discuss – over Whatsapp – how the Philips AirFryer has gone down in price
-“…from $300plus to $249!”
-“Will it go down further?”
AND THEN contemplate buying the damn air fryer.
And that’s not even mentioning the Chinese Chess while we were having drinks!
Have you watched Skyfall, the latest James Bond movie? It’s awesome!
Regardless, have you heard “Skyfall” by Adele, the theme song of – jang jang jang! – Skyfall?
If you have or when you do, you’ll realise that “Skyfall” is, like, the ULTIMATE National Day song ever!
- A world in crisis: “This is the end”; “When worlds collide and days are dark” – check.
- Propagating communitarian values: “Let the sky fall, when it crumbles/We will stand tall/Face it all together” – check.
- The watchful eye of Big Brother: “Where you go I go,/What you see I see” – check.
- The strangely nurturing yet protective might of defence forces: “I know I’ll never be me, without the security/Of your loving arms/Keeping me from harm/Put your hand in my hand/And we’ll stand” – check.
BONUS: A not-so-subtle reference to ‘ponding’ in “I’ve drowned”.
Guess we know who to hire next year to write the National Day 2013 theme song!
P.S. Just discovered a really awesome mash-up: Adele’s “Skyfall” and Eminem’s “Lose Yourself”.
Check-in from a friend on Facebook with the following status update:
Last day! 🙁 – at Singapore Writers Festival @ SMU Campus Green
Tongue-in-cheek comment from me in response:
Finally! I was so sick of seeing all these unemployed Marxist communist sympathisers gallivanting around town. Get a real job, people!