Or: Why I have stopped adding people I know as friends on Facebook.
- Hey, many updates in my ‘Live Feed’!
- Hey, that’s a funny comment on someone’s status message/picture/video/etc!
- Hey, that name/face sounds/looks familiar!
- Hey, it’s a person I know/used to know!
- Hey, let’s add that person as a friend!
- Hey, perhaps I should ‘Add a personal message’ to let the person know who I am in case she/he has forgotten me!
- Hey, perhaps I should let said person know how I found her/his profile in case she/he thinks I actively went to search for her/him!
- Hey… The message looks over-explained, over-apologetic and hence, extremely creepy.
- Hey, er… Delete.
I don’t add students either, though I approve friend requests from students. But that’s another story for another time.